Find the right car carrier service for you
Unless you transport vehicles regularly, you probably don’t have a lot of experience working with auto transport companies. How can you find a good car carrier service on the first try? There are no guarantees, but if you follow these steps you’ll have a much better chance:
- Get quotes from as many auto shippers as you want. Reputable companies will offer free, instant auto shipping quotes with no obligation on your end.
- Research the companies you’re most interested in having ship your car. Customer review sites like transportreviews.com and transportrankings.com are good resources to explore.
- Look into the company’s history. How long have they been around? If they’ve been around for a while, the odds are they’re have a good record.
- Check them out on ratings sites like the Better Business Bureau.
When you book your auto transport order, don’t base your decision solely on price. If you’ve gotten a number of quotes from different companies, you’ll see there is a range of prices but they’re all usually in the same ballpark. A quote that is unusually low may be a red flag. Check out our “Think twice before accepting a cheap car shipping quote” for more insight on this.
Getting your vehicle ready for the car carrier service
- Wash your car! Making sure the car is clean makes it easier for you and the carrier to do a proper vehicle inspection when your car is picked up.
- Make sure your vehicle is emptied of personal items. The transporter’s insurance probably doesn’t cover items left in the vehicle. Also, this ain’t UPS.
- Leave only 1/8 of a tank of fuel in the vehicle.
- Make sure the vehicle is free of leaks (oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid). If your car is on the upper deck of the trailer, this will make sure it doesn’t drip and damage the vehicles below.
- Make sure the tires are inflated and the brakes are working. If the brakes aren’t working, or if the vehicle is inoperable, there is an extra charge due to the added work and planning that goes into shipping an inoperable vehicle.
- Make sure someone is there to give the keys to the auto transport truck driver.
- Make sure either you or a trusted representative are at the pickup and delivery of your vehicle to go over the condition report. When the vehicle is dropped off, you (or your representative) will go over the condition report to make sure no damage has occurred during transport. If there is damage, now is the time to contact the transport company to file a claim per their damage policy.
What to expect from our car carrier service
J&S is primarily a transporter, but we are also a licensed broker, which means we have the flexibility to meet your auto transport needs with ease. We’ve been in existence for over 15 years and have shipped over 235,000 vehicles for our satisfied customers, many on our own fleet of trucks. However, if we can get your vehicle shipped safely and quicker by brokering your order to a partner business, we’ll do it, but not before informing you of this option first.
At J&S, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and communication. If you place your auto transport order with us, you can expect personal contact throughout the transport of your vehicle, regardless if we ship it on our own trucks or broker it.
J&S Transportation offers door-to-door auto shipment service as often as possible, however, our trucks are not allowed in some residential areas. If that is the case with your transport, our drivers will arrange a convenient and safe location with you for pickup of your vehicle.
What we’re trying to accomplish is to provide phenomenal customer service, safe and quick delivery, and open and honest communication at a fair price to everybody. Once you’ve shipped a car with J&S, we hope to gain your repeat business.