Nationwide Auto Shipping To-Do’s
Find a nationwide auto shipping company
People are using nationwide car carriers more and more these days and there are a lot of car transport services to choose from. Like any industry, there are good companies and bad actors out there. Whatever your reason for shipping a car cross country, there are steps to take to find the dependable auto shippers and help you avoid the bad apples.
- Search for auto transport companies: Get online and start searching for car delivery services. Google, Bing , Yahoo, whatever search engine you prefer to use is an invaluable resource and makes this much easier than it was in the dark ages before the internet.
- Get Auto Shipping Quotes: Get as many quotes as you want. Get quotes from brokers, transporters and companies that are both. That way you’ll have a good idea of the going rate for auto transport. There will be range of prices but they should all be in the same ballpark. Remember; there are many factors that affect the cost to ship a car. Rates vary based on fuel prices, distance of transport, and the type of vehicle shipped.
- Research: Once you’ve narrowed down the car shippers you’re most interested in, check out their reputation. Again, the internet makes this easy. Check out rating agencies, customer review sites, ranking sites and safety ratings.
- Choose your transporter: Which kind of vehicle hauling service best suits your needs, and auto transport broker or a car carrier? There are pros and cons to both. For a more in depth look, check out our article on the subject of brokers versus auto haulers .
- Book your auto transport order: Complete booking your vehicle transport order online and then prepare your car for transport.
J&S is primarily an auto transporter, but we are also a licensed broker. This gives us the flexibility to meet whatever auto transport needs you may have. We will transport your vehicle on our own fleet of trucks whenever possible, but if we can get your car to you quicker and safely by brokering it to one of our trusted partners, we will. We will always let you know your options up front so there won’t be any surprises.
Get your car ready for nationwide auto shipping
So, now that you’ve chosen your car transporter you need to get your car ready for transport. Here a few suggestions to help you out
- Wash your car. This makes doing the vehicle condition report much easier.
- Remove all personal items from the vehicle. Your transport insurance may not cover these items so it’s best take them out before you hand over your vehicle.
- Secure accessories. Any loose parts or specialty items such as spoilers, fog lights, etc. should be removed or secured properly for auto transport. If your vehicle is a convertible, all tears to the top should be repaired before transport.
- Disable car alarm. If you have a car alarm, radar detector or automatic toll reader don’t forget to turn them off before your vehicle is picked up.
- Fuel. Leave a 1/8 tank of fuel in the car at most.
- Tires and brakes. Make sure tires are properly inflated and the brakes are in working condition. If they aren’t, it may add to the cost of the transport.
Most folks don’t have a lot of experience with nationwide auto shipping. It’s a big purchase and you need to be confident in the company you’ve chosen to move your car. If you follow the preceding suggestions, you will have a much better chance at a successful and stress-free transport experience.
For the best auto transport experience, we of course suggest you book your auto transport order with J&S Transportation. We’ve been shipping cars for our customers for over 15 years and have successfully delivered over 235,00 vehicles, most on our own fleet of trucks. After you’ve done your research, we are confident you’ll book your auto transport order with us.