Are you moving across country?
American families on average move about every 6 years. There are many reasons people end up moving. Sometimes it’s a new job you have to relocate for. Or it’s personal, like wanting to be closer to family members. Or maybe you just want a change of scenery. Whatever the reason, when moving, we recommend shipping your car instead of either driving it yourself or selling it before you move.
Using a car delivery service may make the most sense for you when you’re moving. In fact, using an auto transport company to move your car often saves time and expense, not to mention wear and tear on your vehicle and stress on your nerves. If you decide to use an auto hauler, fewer miles will be put on your vehicle, you completely eliminate the possibility of breaking down on a long cross country trip, and shipping your car is actually safer than driving it yourself.
Ship your vehicle when moving across country
When making the decision on whether to ship your car, consider the following:
1. Is shipping your vehicle the best option? More often than not you will find that using a car transporter makes the most sense in terms of saving time and money.
2. Shop around. Get a lot of transport quotes from a number of auto transport companies. It’s important to shop around and compare quotes so you can make an educated and informed choice when it comes to vehicle hauling.
3. Do some research. Make a list of all things you’re concerned with regarding car hauling. Wondering about reliability of delivery and on time performance? Check with the FMCSA. What is the company’s damage claim policy? Look in their FAQs. Does the company have a good reputation? Check with the Better Business Bureau. What do other customers have to say? Check out Yelp or other customer review sites.
4. Your insurance coverage. Check with your insurance company to see if there are any specific provisions in your automobile policy that may apply to shipping your vehicle.
5. What type of auto hauler suits your needs, a broker or a carrier? Make sure you know what kind of company you are working with. If you go with J&S Transportation, we give you the best of both worlds. While we are primarily a car carrier with our own fleet of trucks, we are also a licensed broker. This allows us the flexibility to move your automobile as quickly and safely as possible.
6. Plan ahead. It’s best to plan your transport at least 30 days in advance of when you’re moving across country. However, if you’re pressed for time, a lead time of 10-14 days should do the trick.
7. Prepare your car. Before your car is picked up by the transporter, be sure to clean it inside and out. Wash the vehicle. This makes it much easier to do the condition report you and the auto truck transport driver need to do at pickup and delivery of your car. Remove personal items from the car including the trunk and glove box. Make sure there is 1/8 tank of fuel in the vehicle. For a 10 step guide on how to prepare your car for interstate car transport, check out our article “How do I get a car ready to transport cross country.”
While all of the above steps are important, you won’t know exactly where you stand until you start getting transport quotes. Start the process as early as possible. Remember, auto transport is usually measured in weeks, not days. Plan ahead. Get your quotes as early as possible and choose your transporter sooner rather than later so you can coordinate your transport and move accordingly.
At J&S, we pride ourselves on our customer service and communication. Give us a call and we’ll work with you and your schedule to make your auto transport as simple and pain free as possible. Go online, fill out our free quote calculator and when you’re moving cross country, book your auto transport order with us!