Do’s (and some dont’s) when you transport a car
Why you should transport a car:
Cost: It’s often more cost effective to ship your car than drive it yourself. Every day you are moving your car yourself is a day of lost wages. If you have to travel a few thousand miles it could cost you close to a weeks’ pay and for many people that would be a significant financial loss. Also, when you figure in the cost of food, gas and motels, the cost of driving it yourself can add up quickly.
Wear and Tear: Driving long distances puts mileage and wear and tear on your vehicle as well as your nerves.
Safety: A stressed or tired driver is at a higher risk of accident, and by driving yourself you have to face the hazard of other drivers. Remember, there is no price on safety.
Steps to find a car delivery service
- Get free auto shipping quotes from auto transport broker and auto haulers. That way you’ll have a decent idea of the going rates for your auto transport order.
- Research the auto shippers you are most interested in. Customer review sites, rating agencies and governmental oversight entities are all good resources to use.
- Pick your company and book your order as far in advance as possible. We recommend at least a 21-day lead-in.
Steps to prepare for vehicle transport
Once you’ve researched your auto transport choices, picked a company and placed your auto shipping order you need to get your car ready to transport. By doing a few simple tasks, you can drastically improve your chances for having a positive auto transport experience:
- Wash your car. This makes it easier to do the vehicle condition report.
- Remove personal and valuable items from car. Transporters insurance usually doesn’t cover these items.
- Remove accessories and disable alarms.
- Make sure there is about 1/8 tank of fuel.
- Make sure tires and brakes are in proper working condition.
Steps you can take to avoid a bad car shipping experience
Most people don’t have a ton of experience when it comes to the auto hauling industry. A car is a vital part of most people’s lives and one of the most valuable assets you have. That’s why it is important to make the best choice possible when choosing a company to move your car. These are some items to consider when booking a car hauling order:
- Don’t always go with the cheapest quote: Saving money is always a good thing, but remember the old adage “you get what you pay for.” Going with the lowest quote is not always a bad decision, but if it is significantly lower than every other quote you’ve gotten, you’re probably going to be giving up quality or speed of service.
- Beware Guaranteed Delivery Times: Auto transport is more of an art than a science and any reputable company will tell you upfront they can’t guarantee specific pickup and delivery dates. If they do, make sure to get it in writing. Honest companies will give you a solid estimate of pickup and delivery dates and will do their best to stick to it.
- Don’t limit your choices: Be sure to get several quotes from a number of transport companies before choosing.
- Beware of fly-by-nights: Try to find a car delivery service that has been around for a while and has a proven track record of delivering vehicles. If the car transport company you’ve chosen has been around for a few years, there’s probably a reason why: They can get the job done.
These are a few suggestions you should consider when you need to ship a car for whatever reason. At J&S, our mission is to provide excellent customer service and a successful auto transport every time for all of customers. Book your auto transport order with us today!